NAMI Family Support Group is a peer-led support group for family members, caregivers and loved ones of individuals living with mental illness. Gain insight from the challenges and successes of others facing similar circumstances.
NAMI’s Support Groups are unique because they follow a structured model, ensuring everyone has an opportunity to be heard and to get what they need.
- Free of cost to participants
- No registration required
- Designed for adult loved ones (18+) of individuals living with mental illness
- Led by family members of individuals living with mental illness
- Meets monthly
- No specific medical therapy or medication is endorsed or recommended
- An educational program is offered quarterly during the first half of the meeting
Camp Hill Family Support Group
- WHEN: Every first Thursday of the month, 6:30 – 8:00 PM
- WHERE: St Timothy Lutheran Church, 4200 Carlisle Pike, Camp Hill, PA 17011
Carlisle Family Support Group
- WHEN: Every third Thursday of the month, 7:00 – 9:00 PM
- WHERE: NHS STAR Center, 253 Penrose Place, Carlisle, PA 17013
What You’ll Gain
By sharing your experiences in a safe and confidential setting, you gain hope and develop supportive relationships. This group allows your voice to be heard, and provides an opportunity for your personal needs to be met. It encourages empathy, productive discussion and a sense of community. You’ll benefit through other’s experiences, discover your inner strength and learn now to identify local resources and how to use them.
NAMI Family Support Group will help you:
- See the individual first, not the illness
- Recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that may have environmental triggers
- Understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events
- Aim for better coping skills
- Find strength in sharing experiences
- Reject stigma and not tolerate discrimination
- Not judge anyone’s pain
- Forgive ourselves and reject guilt
- Embrace humor as healthy
- Accept that we cannot solve every problem
- Work for a better future in a realistic way
What People are Saying
“Using the NAMI support group model is so essential to the success of our family support groups. As a group, the collective wisdom covered a lot of possibilities.”
“The most beneficial thing for me was that I am not alone. I found the NAMI Family Support Group at the time I really needed it!”
Although some of our events are held at religious institutions, they are not religious in nature, and are open to people of all beliefs.